Fairfield, CT - The Sacred Heart Club Figure Skating team has become the latest team to qualify for their sports respective National Stage. Over the course of the season, the SHU Club team was one of the top four programs in the East Section which automatically qualified them for the Figure Skating National Championships. The overview of how the league works is explained below:
- Skaters compete individually in short program and free skate singles events, solo dance, and/or as part of a team in the team maneuvers event, representing the college they attend, and earning "team points" for a placement in the top five.
- Skaters compete in events based on their U.S. Figure Skating test level.
- All skaters must be full-time college students, as defined by the institution that they attend.
- Each team attends the three competitions held in their assigned section / conference.
- The four teams that earn the most points throughout the season in each conference are invited to compete at the U.S. Intercollegiate Team Figure Skating Championships, in April.
The Pioneers were one of 61 teams in the country competing for a chance to get to the U.S> Intercollegiate Team Figure Skating National Championships, and by becoming one of the top four teams in the East Section, they qualified for the "Terrific Twelve."
The team will hold a Nationals Sendoff next Wednesday, April 11th, before they leave on Thursday. The sendoff will include a short performance and reception. More details to come this week!